PCN Governance Training – Essentials (Accredited)
Today's dynamic health care system creates a complex set of roles and responsibilities for PCN Board and Joint Governance Committee members. Governance representatives must be skilled and knowledgeable in foundational governance matters in order to best contribute to and influence the performance of their governing bodies. This curriculum introduces the governance of Primary Care Networks (PCN) in Alberta. You will learn about the context in which PCNs operate in Alberta, the governance structures that PCNs operate within, and the many functions, roles, and responsibilities that contribute to the optimal functioning of Boards and Committees.
- Members of the Physician Not-For-Profit Board
- Members of the Joint Governance Committee
- Members of the PCN Non-Profit Boards
- PCN Executive Directors
- Any individuals who provide direct support to PCN Boards/Governance Committees
By the end of this curriculum, learners will be able to:
- Define the various primary care structures and the role Primary Care Networks (PCNs) play within primary health care and health transformation.
- Explain the key governance structures and their respective roles and responsibilities.
- Explain the key functions of PCN Boards and other important Committees (e.g., Joint Governance Committee) and the key fiduciary responsibilities for Board members (both individual and Board as a whole).
- Demonstrate key board responsibilities in relation to strategic planning, risk management, financial stewardship, and human resource management.
This 2-credit-per-hour Group Learning Program has been certified by the College of Family Physicians of Canada for up to 12 Mainpro+ credits.
Estimated completion time
6 hours (4.2 hours to complete the pre-work courses and 1.2 hours to attend an interactive session).
Important pre-registration details
- In order to receive a Mainpro+ certificate, learners must complete both the Learn@AMA pre-work courses and attend an interactive session.
- Pre-work must be completed prior to the selected interactive session to receive a Mainpro+ certificate. Completing the pre-work ensures that you get the most out of the interactive session.
Interactive sessions are limited to the intended audience noted above.
Interactive Session Dates
October 5, 2023 6:00 - 8:00 PM - Virtual (online)
Learners only have to attend one interactive session. Sessions are free to attend, but travel and time is not paid by ACTT. In-person sessions include dinner.