Why PMH and Getting Started
Why Physicians Are Interested in the Patient's Medical Home
In one word, change. The health and social needs of patients and communities are changing. The health system itself also continually evolves to meet new demands. The health workforce, including professional and support staff have changing responsibilities and capabilities. Physicians themselves have changing expectations of their role in providing care to patients.
The Patient's Medical Home (PMH) Helps Physicians:
- Organize and prioritize activities to best meet the needs of their patients in a complex ever changing healthcare environment.
- Deliver the care that they want to deliver, practice with less stress, and develop deeper relationships with their patients and communities.
- Better adapt to the system that is changing around them.
PMH Implementation Tools and Resources
To learn more about the PMH, please see the resources below or connect with your Primary Care Network.
- Background and Evidence:
- Primary Care Explained Online Course
- Benefits of the PMH - Evidence Summary - 2017 updated
- Patient-Centred Primary Care Collaborative Research (PCPCC) Resources:
- PMH Implementation in Alberta:
- To hear how the PMH is helping physicians, tune in to the 'One Nail at a Time' Podcast on Apple Podcast, Spotify, Stitcher, Himalaya, or Buzzsprout
- Primary Care Teams Meet Patient Needs - 3 min video
- Tools for Implementing the PMH:
- Introduction to the Patient's Medical Home Package: (a set of resources intended to guide leaders in introducing the value of becoming a PMH to practice teams)
- Additional ACTT Resources:
- College of Family Physician of Canada (CFPC) Resources: