Did you know...
- AMA offers free privacy training tailored to physicians, privacy officers and clinic staff on Learn@AMA. Sign up your clinic today!
Does your PIA reflect your current clinic environment?
- Find your PIA and review it to ensure it reflects your current environment
- It is a prerequisite for the participation in CII/CPAR that the clinic PIA reflects the current clinic environment
- If the clinic PIA is not up to date, or you are not sure, there is an privacy impact assessment tool to assist you
- See the privacy consultant list on the AMA website if you want to hire a professional
- See the privacy impact assessment website to learn what sections must be included in a PIA if you want to try and write it yourself
How do I find my clinic EMR or Netcare PIA number?
See this AMA Resource
How are clinic privacy processes impacted by CII?
- CII falls under the Alberta Netcare umbrella which is covered by the Health Information Act
- Alberta Health has filed a Privacy Impact Assessment for the CII project and the clinic custodian will be asked to sign an endorsement letter during onboarding with the eHealth team
Do I need to tell patients their information will be shared to Netcare?
- The Health Information Act requires providers to have the information from a Health Collection Notice available to patients and it can be in the form of poster, clinic TV screen, website, patient registration form, etc.
- Providers are not required to have direct conversations with patients about CII/CPAR.
- Support tools are available here: patient brochure, custodian script, patient FAQ, privacy & security FAQ
What if I'm already live on CII/CPAR and I'm switching, or considering switching my EMR?
There are important PIA considerations for live clinics when they switch EMRs. Please read this FAQ for more information.